Disney’s Moonlight Magic is an exclusive event that allows guests to enjoy the parks after hours. Guests can enjoy shorter lines, special character meet and greets, and exclusive shows and events. Best of all, Moonlight Magic is free for guests staying at a Disney resort hotel.
Table of Contents
What is Moonlight Magic
DVC members get special access to Disney Parks during Moonlight Magic, where they can enjoy rides and attractions without the usual crowds and long wait times.
Guests can enjoy reduced wait times for the attractions, buy special merchandise only available during Moonlight Magic, attend dance parties, and stuff their faces with as many Mickey Ice Cream Bars as they want…for FREE!
Since Disney limits the event’s attendee capacity, you can be sure to have a wonderful and relaxed time at the parks.
As a result, tickets for the event are typically sold out within hours of sale, and it’s one of the most sought-after events of the year!
Moonlight Magic Highlights
- Free Carnival Game Voucher (Animal Kingdom Only)
- Shorter Lines for Rides
- Unique Character Meet & Greets
- Special DVC Merchandise
- Free After-Hours access to Disney World theme parks on select dates
- Character sightings and select entertainment.
- Free Disney Snacks
When is Moonlight Magic?
Disney Vacation Club will host Moonlight Magic at various resorts throughout the year. Dates are usually published in November for the following year. It is generally held on a Wednesday night (sometimes on a Tuesday).
The event is Rain or Shine, so you don’t have to worry about it getting rescheduled.
So if you are wondering when is Disney World Moonlight Magic happening? Let’s looks at what we know.
- Disney California Adventure Park: 2/1
- EPCOT®: 2/8, 2/15
- Disney’s Hollywood Studios: 5/11, 9/13
- Disney’s Animal Kingdom® Park: 7/11, 8/2
- Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon Water Park: 5/23, 8/23
Latest Registration Dates Info for Moonlight Magic
All registration for Moonlight Magic 2023 has passed but stay tuned as we update the information for late 2023 and Moonlight Magic 2024.
Moonlight Magic includes EPCOT, Disney’s Hollywood Studios, and Disney’s Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World. In the past, as many as 5 parks have taken part, including Disney’s Magic Kingdom and Typhoon Lagoon.
How Much is Moonlight Magic
The best part is that it’s completely free. No, I’m not exaggerating; the Disney Vacation Club Moonlight Magic events are free and include short ride times as well as complimentary food! What’s not to like?
What Time does Moonlight Magic Start?
Depending on the park, DVC Moonlight Magic events usually start at 9 or 9:30 pm. (However, Animal Kingdom events may begin earlier.)
Moonlight Magic takes place for three hours after park closing, so if the Magic Kingdom or EPCOT shuts at 9 p.m., it will be from 9 p.m. until 12 a.m.
However, don’t show up right when the event starts. Check-in begins 2 hours earlier than the Moonlight Magic event’s start time, so arrive as close to that as possible. You can even use some of that waiting time by checking off rides (which we’ll touch on later).
Once you check-in, you will get your wristband, food vouchers, and event schedule. Use this to figure out what you want to accomplish and where you want to be throughout the night.
The schedule will list the available characters and the dining locations you can eat at.
Booking Moonlight Magic
To participate in Moonlight Magic, you must first register. Registration will initially be open only to DVC members with a Disney Resort hotel reservation on the event date, after which it will be open to all other eligible individuals.
All members who have a Disney Resort hotel reservation will receive an email with a link to register online for the DVC Moonlight Magic events.
If a member does not stay at a Disney World Resort, all other eligible members are permitted to register for the following 2-3 weeks. Reservations can be made for the member and four additional people (subject to availability).
Each Park has its booking schedule, which proceeds from the earliest to the latest dates for the events taking place there (for example, a January event will be booked before a July event).
I will keep this area updated with booking dates.
Important Moonlight Magic Information
- DVC Members are only entitled to one Moonlight Magic event every year. That means if you book an event early in the year, that’s it for the rest of the year.
- You may invite a total of 4 other people to your party for Moonlight Magic, not including any children 3 years old or younger.
- If your event is larger and everyone is staying on the same DVC Resort reservation, the entire party can attend as long as they are all DVC members.
- Registration is required, and walk-ins are not accepted.
- You will need to show a valid photo ID and your Disney Vacation Club membership card at the time of check-in. The member who is listed on the card must be present to check-in.
- If the DVC account’s primary member does not register for the event, another member on the SAME account may be designated as the main check-in guest.
- If you wish to visit the theme park before it begins, you’ll need a valid theme park ticket and an admission pass.
Modifications & Cancellations for Moonlight Magic
- Modify Party Size – To modify your party size or date you wish to attend a DVC Moonlight Magic event, you may modify the event registration through the link in the confirmation email sent after the original booking.
- Canceled Resort Reservations – If you cancel your resort reservation, your Moonlight Magic event registration will also be canceled automatically.
- Know the Risks – If you cancel your registration, there is no guarantee you will be able to register again for the event so think carefully before making a decision.
Eating at Moonlight Magic
One of the great benefits of Moonlight Magic is that you can get free food at the event!
Each attendee is given a voucher for one free quick service meal each time they check in. This includes a regular dinner (for example, burger, fries, and soft drink).
Not all of the quick service restaurants are open during Moonlight Magic, the program you receive at check-in will let you know what’s available.
Not only is Moonlight Magic’s food served quickly, but you may also get as many free snacks as you want! Each location has its own set of sweets, although most events feature Mickey Premium Ice Bars, Ice Cream Sandwiches, Popsicles, and Strawberry Bars.
If you want to eat your food on time, eat it sooner rather than later. The lines might be lengthy, and some of the restaurants may run out of certain items, preventing you from getting your preferred meal.
Go back for seconds and thirds of the ice cream bars!
Epcot Moonlight Magic
- Spaceship Earth
- Journey Into Imagination with Figment
- Test Track
- Soarin’ Around the World
- Living with the Land
- Gran Fiesta Tour
- Frozen Ever After
- Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure
- Oogie Boogie
- Queen of Hearts
- Captain Hook & Mr. Smee
- Lady Tremaine
- Honest John and Gideon
- Evil Queen
- Old Hag
- Sheriff of Nottingham
The entertainment is what you’re here for. You can find rare character sightings around every corner, and the party atmosphere gives the Walt Disney World theme parks a unique flare just for Disney Vacation Club Members.
- Event DJ
- Special Shows
- Harmonious Nighttime Spectacular
Hollywood Studios Moonlight Magic
At the Hollywood Studios DVC Moonlight Magic event, guests were given vouchers for free snacks that could be redeemed at locations throughout the park. One voucher was also reserved for an exclusive popcorn bucket.
Prior to the event (7:00pm – 9:00pm)
- Backlot Express
- ABC Commissary
- Docking Bay 7 Food and Cargo
- Catalina Eddie’s
Throughout the night (7:00 pm – 12:30 am)
- Kat Saka’s Kettle
- Milk Stand
- Woody’s Lunch Box
- Anaheim Produce
- Rosie’s All-American Cafe
- Hollywood Scoops
- KRNR: The Rock Station
- Snack Carts
Popcorn buckets could be redeemed at one of the following locations:
- Neighborhood Bakery (7:00 pm – 12:30 am)
- PizzeRizzo (7:00pm – 12:30am)
- Popcorn Carts (9:30pm – 12:30am)
- Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway
- Star Tours
- Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance (Last queue entry at 11:30 pm)
- Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run
- Alien Swirling Saucers
- Slinky Dog Dash
- Toy Story Mania!
- Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith
- The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
- Mickey Mouse
- Minnie Mouse
- Darth Vadar
- Fat Cat (Chip ‘n Dale: Rescue Rangers)
- Dance parties
- Nightly Firework show
Moonlight magic at Hollywood Studios does have the regular show play at the end of the Moonlight Magic hours.
How often is Moonlight Magic?
Moonlight Magic is held a few times throughout the year for various parks. Each year has been different so far. The event is only for Disney Vacation Club members and their guests.
How long is Moonlight Magic at Disney?
Moonlight Magic is for 3 hours from whenever the start time is. It varies by the park; Epcot might be 9 pm-12 am, while Animal Kingdom could be 7 pm-10 pm.
Is Moonlight Magic Worth It?
To recap, you receive a free quick service meal, shorter ride lines, the opportunity to meet unique characters, and unlimited Mickey Ice Cream Bars.
Do I need to answer that?
Please be on the lookout for more information regarding the Moonlight Magic events, as Disney will release more the closer we get to the actual dates.
If you’re looking for a fun and unique way to spend an evening, I highly recommend checking out Disney’s Moonlight Magic event. It’s definitely one of my favorite things that the parks have to offer!